Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Thai Red Curry

Happy 4th of July! This recipe isn't exactly American like apple pie, but it's how I as an American make Thai food.


(I updated the photo, this was a few weeks ago when I made curry with eggplant that George picked out from the grocery store.)

Thai Red Curry

1 can (14 oz) coconut milk
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter
2-3 Tbs Thai red curry paste (depending on how spicy you like it. You can get this and the coconut milk from an Asian market, although sometimes I can find coconut milk cheaper at Macey's)
juice of 1 lime (or a tablespoon or two of fish sauce, also available at Asian market)
1 chicken breast, chopped into 1 inch cubes and cooked (optional)
1 sweet potato (optional)
chopped cilantro (for garnish, optional)
Bring coconut milk to boil in medium saucepan (if you do use chicken in this, you can do like I do and boil the chicken in the coconut milk). Add remaining ingredients and stir until smooth. You can add cooked cubed chicken if you like, and I also like to add chunks of cooked sweet potato to the sauce as well. Serve curry sauce over rice and steamed or stir-fried veggies (I use typical stir fry veggies, but I especially like to add baby corn, water chestnuts, sometimes bamboo shoots). My kids don't really like the spice of the curry sauce, so they usually just eat the rice and veggies (and maybe some sweet potato and chicken that I reserved before putting them in the sauce).

No comments:

Post a Comment