Monday, January 21, 2013

Veggie Plates, Cornbread, and Brussels Sprouts


I need to make up veggie plates like this more often. They really are a lifesaver for those last few minutes when I'm making dinner, and the boys are bugging me because they're ready to eat RIGHT NOW! We got some purple carrots and mini sweet peppers in our Bountiful Basket the other week, the boys loved them. As well as the grape tomatoes that were on sale at the store. They grab handfuls of them and stuff their cheeks.


I adapted Mom's Sweetest Cornbread recipe to make it 100% whole grain. I also reduced the sugar a little. The cornbread was a little darker and a little denser, but other than that I could hardly tell the difference. I'll probably keep tweaking it to see how little sugar and oil I can get away with.

SWheatest Cornbread


Combine in medium bowl:
3/4 c. corn meal
1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 Tbl. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Combine in small bowl:
1/3 c. oil
3 Tbl. melted butter
2 eggs
1 1/4 c. milk

Combine all above ingredients.
Pour into greased 8-inch square pan.
Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 35 minutes.

For muffins: Spoon batter into 18 to 20 greased or paper-lined muffin cups.
Fill 2/3 full. Bake in preheated 350-degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes.


We also got Brussels sprouts in our Bountiful Basket. I've tried roasting them before, and we didn't care for it. This time I roasted with bacon, because everything tastes better with bacon! It did taste better, but still not good enough to convince me to buy Brussels sprouts again. Anyone have any tips for preparing Brussels sprouts or a favorite way to cook them?

2 comments:

  1. I like your new name for the corn bread. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a nice variety of veggies! I remember researching brussel sprouts long ago and someone said that the bitter taste comes from overcooking them. I think I have a recipe in my files. I'll see if its there.

    ReplyDelete