Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Turkey, Potato and Rosemary Frittata

So my friend Lizzie does this challenge every February. It's called Run Swim Bike Cook, or Ironman meets Iron Chef. The challenge is to do the equivalent of an Ironman (run 26.2 miles, swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles) spread out through the month, plus a weekly cooking challenge. 

I read about it last week and thought, "Maybe this year will be the year I participate, but just the running and cooking, maybe a little biking." And then I forgot about it until yesterday, so last night I planned my breakfast dish with rosemary (the first cooking challenge).

This was my first time making a frittata. It was not hard, and it was faster to cook up than I expected. On Sunday I cooked a turkey dinner, so I decided to use some of the leftovers. And what goes better with turkey than potatoes?

I didn't think I would have time to make this before Carlos left for work, because I really wanted to get a 3 mile run in this morning (so now this month I've run 5 miles). Luckily, he was still asleep when I got back from my run . As I started cooking, Allen kept asking for a cookie and George was furious that I was not making French toast for breakfast. I kept Allen at bay with craisins and gogurt. But George was not to be calmed. When it was done, he refused to sit with us. It wasn't until after Carlos left for work (and after much crying and yelling and knocking chairs over) that George calmed down and I asked him if he wanted to open up a new box of cereal from the pantry. He did, so I prepared him a big bowl of cereal. He started eating it, and I noticed there was a small piece of frittata left on Allen's plate, so I offered it to George. Surprisingly he took it.

This is a direct quote from George after his first bite: "Cook some more tomorrow." After his second bite, he said, "It's super, super good." Then to make sure I had heard him, "Mom, it's super, super good!"

I thought it was good, but not THAT good. I forgot to season the potatoes while they were cooking, and I was going to add some garlic too. I probably could've put more rosemary in as well, and of course I'm sure it would've tasted much better with fresh rosemary. I just don't really have much space near a window to grow herbs indoors. Also, my frittata deflated quite a bit as it cooled. It turned out quite thin, but still tasty. I think next time I'd up the proportion of filling to eggs. Still, not bad for my first try.


Turkey, Potato and Rosemary Frittata
Serves 4-6

olive oil
1 large potato, peeled and thinly sliced
5 eggs
1/2 t. salt
pinch of pepper
1/2 t. dried rosemary
1/2 c. chopped cooked turkey

Heat 2 T. olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes, spread in a thin layer and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium high heat until golden and crisp on the bottom. Turn and cook until the second side is golden. Transfer to a plate with a paper towel to drain off the excess oil.

Preheat the broiler. Beat the eggs and spices together until smooth. In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat another 2 T. olive oil over medium heat. Spread out the potatoes and turkey in the skillet, then quickly pour egg mixture over it. Reduce heat to low and cook until the bottom is set. Sprinkle a little more rosemary on top, then place under broiler for 30 - 90 seconds until the top is finished cooking. Cut into triangles and serve, with a squeeze of fresh lemon on top if desired.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! I love that super, super good moment! Thanks for playing along this year. Looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete