Thursday, February 28, 2013

Arabic Cinnamon Drink

It's the end of the Run Swim Bike Cook Challenge. I ran 30 miles and biked 9. Not a whole lot really, but a lot more than I probably would have done during this bitterly cold February had I not decided to do the challenge. This week's cooking assignment was cinnamon, in a drink. I found a recipe for an Arabic cinnamon drink, which sounded really intriguing.

This is the kind of drink you cup in your hands to warm them. A drink you sip slowly at the end of a hard day, while you ponder, or just think of nothing and unwind.

It was the perfect way for me to unwind after putting the boys to bed and cleaning up the kitchen. It simmered on the stove while I washed dishes, wiped down the table and the sticky chairs. It was the perfect way for me to cherish some solitude, since Carlos is away working late. I have some time to myself in the mornings, when I awake before everyone, sometimes even after I get back from a run. But I never know when the silence will be broken, when the cries of "Mommy, Mommy!" will begin. At night, I am more certain of not being interrupted.

Tonight I sat alone at the kitchen table, sipping away my worries. "Lighten up," was the message a neighbor brought me this evening, when she stopped by just a couple hours ago. Learn to let go. It's okay if you haven't dusted in weeks. It's okay if your kid spills grape juice all over the floor. Life happens. Sometimes all we can do is change our attitude. And this soothing warm drink helped me accomplish that tonight.

It's the kind of drink that when you get down to the dregs, you decide you need another helping. Another dose of liquid tranquility.

Arabic Cinnamon Drink
adapted from Food.com

3 cups water
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
3 medium cinnamon sticks
1/4 teaspoon ginger powder (or a thin slice of fresh ginger, a little less than 1/4 t.)
3 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon chopped pine nuts (I didn't have any, so I used cashews, which just sank to the bottom, so they didn't really add much to the drink)

1. Boil all the ingredients except nuts in a saucepan on high heat, then simmer for 15 minutes.
2. Strain into cups.
3. Garnish with nuts.
4. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment