Thursday, April 10, 2014

No Sugar Day

Yesterday I saw a link on Facebook about a woman who decided to go a year without any added sugar (there were a few exceptions, once a month treat for birthdays and such). Her whole family joined her challenge and she wrote a book about it. And apparently, yesterday she organized a "Day of No Sugar" challenge, to promote said book. I saw this last night, when I had already eaten my meals for the day, so I thought I'd give the challenge a try today instead.

 breakfast: 1 banana, 1 orange, 2 scrambled eggs
George and Allen had sugary cereal. I tried to convince them they wanted me to cook something for them. After they saw my plate though, they changed their minds and ate some of my eggs, and Allen had some of my orange. Note to self: next time, just start cooking something. Then after they see it on the table and still decide they want something else to eat, that's ok.

 lunch: leftover homemade turkey noodle soup and salad (no dressing)
pretty much any store bought salad dressing has sugar, and I was famished, no time to whip something up. If I had a lemon, I would've squeezed some fresh juice over it, but I forgot to put lemons on my grocery list. The soup actually had a tiny bit of sugar in it because I used canned cream of chicken soup in it. I checked the label and there was sugar way down near the bottom of the ingredients list. Usually I don't use the cream of chicken soup, but I don't have as much time to cook up a substitute (still adjusting to life with a newborn).

 afternoon snack #1: plain yogurt with fresh strawberries
I couldn't resist the big 4 pound container of strawberries at Costco. They looked so good and the price was pretty good too (yes, they also tasted so good).

 afternoon snack #2 (to tide me over while I'm cooking dinner): carrot sticks
These were conveniently waiting in the fridge. I had chopped them up yesterday or the day before.

 Dinner: fajitas
I checked the tortillas, no sugar (it's probably going to be a while before I get back into regularly making my own tortillas). My fajita chicken marinade calls for taco seasoning mix and sugar. I omitted the sugar. My taco seasoning mix had sugar, so I found a sugarless recipe online and it was pretty quick to mix it together. The fajita mix definitely tasted different, but still good. I served it with homemade refried beans (that I had in the freezer), fresh pico de gallo, lettuce, avocado, cheese and sour cream. Another slip up, after my first fajita, I checked the salsa, it had sugar. So I omitted the salsa on my second helping.

Dessert: peanut butter balls
I didn't eat these because they're like 50% added sugar, but yesterday I had promised the boys I would make them today. Peanut butter (added sugar) mixed with crisp rice cereal (forgot to check, but almost certainly has sugar), powdered sugar (sugar!), and chocolate chips (more sugar). I have seen recipes for healthier balls of sweetness (using dates) but I haven't tried any of them yet.

Definitely a helpful challenge, to make one more mindful of reading labels and being aware what may be hiding sugar. I make my own pizza/lasagna/spaghetti sauces, but they all include a little sugar. I could cut that out. I usually bake my own bread, but I also always add honey and/or molasses to sweeten it. Lately I have cut back on how much sweetener, but I will try making bread without any honey or anything and see if anyone notices.

No comments:

Post a Comment