Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Cooking with Kids

I read on some blog somewhere about how to get kids to love vegetables, and one of the suggestions was to have them help you cook. This was not news to me, I do involve my boys in cooking, but a lot of the tasks are above their skill level, or so I thought. But this blog post mentioned how she had her young daughter peel potatoes or carrots. So when George was bored this afternoon and asked to help me peel the carrots, I said, "Sure!" It took him longer than I would have done it, but in that time I was able to chop up most of the other veggies. He didn't peel off any of his skin, and he did a pretty thorough job of peeling the carrots, not missing too many spots. He did take a few bites while peeling, and took two of the carrots out of the kitchen, one for himself and one for his brother. They ate half of them, the other halves were left on the floor and the dog finished them off. The boys also ate a good amount of cauliflower while I was chopping it up. If it's visible, it's more likely to get eaten!

No comments:

Post a Comment