Monday, April 15, 2013

My morning run

Sorry, this post has nothing to do with food, but I felt I needed to write these thoughts out and thought this would be a good place.

This morning I rolled out of bed and went for a run. I didn't get out the door as fast as I used to back during the RunSwimBikeCook challenge, but I got out the door. And saw snow on the cars. It was still lightly snowing during the couple miles I ran. I licked a big snowflake off my upper lip at one point. And yet I could still hear the birds singing Spring. The frogs have also come back to life; I heard them the other night when I took the dog for a quick walk.

As I was half way through my run, I thought of my friend, Lizzie, who was about to run her first Boston marathon. I thought of my Vibram FiveFingers, how once we're well past snow season, I'll start running in mine again. Maybe next month. I thought of how my friend inspires me: to run, and to do it not just to check it off your to-do list, but to enjoy it. Maybe in a couple years I'll work up to running a marathon myself.

Then later today, I saw the news of the explosions at the Boston marathon. My thoughts raced through shock, worry, then reassuring hope. A couple hours later, I did find out my friend was fine. But so many people are not fine. Lives were lost. Limbs were lost. Will those people ever be able to run again? Even if they are physically able, will they be able to handle it emotionally? I don't know really what to say, what to do. I just continue to hope and pray. And keep on running.

No comments:

Post a Comment